By Abdirisak Itaqile
Hargeisa, (Somaliland Monitor) -The Mayor of the nation’s capital, Mr. Abdirahman Mohamoud Aideed aka Soltelco commended and expressed Somaliland government appreciation to Germany. Mayor Soltelco made the remarks while on Monday addressing the launching ceremony of the final phase of the German-funded Hargeisa Urban Water Supply and Basic Sanitation project.
Mayor Soltelco also outlined that Germany is considered one of the important international partners concerning international aid to Somaliland. He lauded Germany’s continued support for Somaliland in many fields, especially through German development agency (GIZ) and Germany’s state-owned development bank KFW.
“I would to thank German government for its continued support to Somaliland. Germany has been providing infrastructure support projects to Somaliland such as building roads since the inception of Somaliland in 1991.” Mayor Abdirahman Soltelco said.
Similarly, Mayor Soltelco thanked German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s special representative for Africa, Dr Günter Nooke, who has paid a courtesy call to Somaliland for receiving him and Berbera mayor while on a working visit to Germany last month.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s special representative for Africa, Dr Günter Nooke who is visiting the country has met president Muse Bihi Abdi where they held discussions which focused on wide range of areas including the mutual interest of the two nations and the projects that Germany is carrying out in Somaliland.
The Government of Somaliland through Hargeisa Water Agency /Municipality of Hargeisa/ has received a financing from KfW toward the cost of the Water Supply/Basic Sanitation,and intends to apply part of the proceeds toward payments under the contract for the Construction of Hargeisa Water Supply and Basic Sanitation Project.
- Construction of 4 Reservoirs of total storage capacity approx. 7,600.00 m3
- 4 transmission mains (DCI Pipes of DN 100 – 500) with a total length of approx. 14 km with accessories)
- 7 water distribution networks (PE pipes and associated fittings of total length approx. 150km, each fed by its own reservoir/elevated tanks. Butt welding required for the PE pipes).
- Construction of Water Kiosks, Pumping Houses, chlorination units, connection chambers
- Supply of Mechanical, Electrical and Hydraulic Equipment which includes but not limited to supply of chlorination units, bulk water meters, booster pumps, magnetic Supported by flap level meter, pressure switch etc. More details shall be given in the later stage of the bidding process.
- Construction of Public Toilets and Septic Tanks in Town at selected areas
- Construction of Sludge Treatment Plant on a plot size of approx. 150m x 200m